How to Pick an Education Degree School near Healdsburg 95448
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Healdsburg CA. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Healdsburg CA primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Healdsburg CA teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Healdsburg CA public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in California or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Healdsburg California?
Perhaps you live near Healdsburg CA or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Healdsburg is a city located in Sonoma County, in California's Wine Country. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city had a population of 11,254. Healdsburg is a small tourist-oriented town in northern Sonoma County. Due to its three most important wine-producing regions (the Russian River, Dry Creek, and Alexander Valley AVAs), Healdsburg has been continuously awarded one of the top 10 small towns in America and is home to three of the top wineries in the United States.
Early inhabitants of the local area included the Pomo people, who constructed villages in open areas along the Russian River. Anglo-American (Mexican and Russian) settlement may have commenced in the mid-19th century, with a settlement nearby, established downstream along the Russian River near Graton, in 1836, and later the Rancho Sotoyome land grant, in 1844.
In 1857, Harmon Heald, an Ohio businessman who had been squatting on Rancho Sotoyome since 1850, purchased part of the rancho—giving the city its official founding date. In 1867, Heald’s eponymous small town was incorporated. Healdsburg is located within the former township of Mendocino. The San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad reached Healdsburg in 1872.
Questions to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a education degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Healdsburg CA. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education program not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the California Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by California or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Enroll in the Right Teacher Degree School near Healdsburg California
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Healdsburg CA.
More Interesting Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 329